TRAINEE PCV DRIVER – Job description
Purpose of the Role:
- To work through a structured Driver Training Programme in order to pass all 4 parts of the DSA Driver CPC for PCV Drivers, entitling the Trainee to then become a PCV Driver. A PCV Driver is responsible for driving a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV), providing excellent customer service and a safe and comfortable journey throughout Tyrers Coaches’ network of bus services, contracts and private hire bookings.
- To follow all reasonable requests made by the Driving Instructor.
- To ensure that high visibility clothing is always worn in vehicle movement areas.
- To ensure that speed limits are observed within bus depots and bus stations and on all public roads.
- Once appropriately trained, to check the condition of the vehicle prior to commencing service by carrying out the safety walk round check, ensuring that any defect in the vehicle or equipment is reported as soon as possible to the right person.
- Completing the Vehicle Defect Card or entering the defect on the Driver Walkround Check App.
- Ensuring that the vehicle is clean and tidy before starting service.
- Comply with the laws and company regulations regarding the use of mobile phones, smoking in company vehicles and the use of prohibited equipment (such as games consoles) whilst on duty.
- To be responsible for the health, safety, security, welfare, environmental and fire safety arrangements for yourself, customers and colleagues.
- To ensure all safety accidents/incidents are reported using the company’s reporting procedure.
- To ensure your bus cab area is kept in a safe and tidy condition at all times.
- To provide a high standard of customer service at all times.
- To give customers on the bus any information that may help them during their journey. Examples would be telling customers the best stop to for their destination, road closures & diversions.
- To always behave in a friendly and professional way to customers and colleagues.
- To recognize and assist with the additional needs of children and vulnerable adults, the elderly, infirm or disabled.
- To take cash for payment of fares and make sure customers get the correct change (where applicable).
- To drive the Company’s vehicles in a safe, legal and professional way.
- To accurately use the ticket machine once trained.
- To keep cash secure and safe within the driver cab at all times.
- To ensure all cash is accurately paid into the appropriate location and in accordance with the Company procedures.
- To display the correct destination on the vehicle’s destination blind at all times.
- To keep up to date with road closures, diversions or special events which may affect bus services. This is done by reading notices, attending briefings etc
- To keep up to date with any changes to condition of travel, ticket types, fares or promotions by reading notices, briefings or updated documents.
- To ensure that a valid driving licence is held at all times and is available for inspection by a member of the Operations Team.
- A driver must ensure that:
- their licence is in date and valid for the vehicle type.
- their licence has the required medical renewals up to date.
- any change to the licence which may affect their entitlement to drive is communicated to their line manager (e.g. Sickness, injury or conviction).
- their licence is made available for inspection in every 6 month period.
Reporting for Work
- To report for work at the correct time and location with the correct equipment.
- To ensure that a clean company uniform is correctly worn at all times when on duty. if you are waiting for a uniform, you must wear smart attire (ie. trousers, shirt & tie with smart shoes)
- Not to report for work when overtired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs (see Driver’s handbook for further details).
- To ensure that the relevant notification procedures are followed in the event of absence from work.
- To undertake any reasonable request made by the Company
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01204 575703.